Concept Refinement
11/20
The feedback I received helped me think of what would make my magazine different from other sailing magazines. What will make "Reach" different is its inclusiveness of people of all backgrounds. The boats in this magazine can be sailed by ages 15-65 and these people don't need to be wealthy to sail them either. All other sailing magazines feature large expensive boats that only older wealthy people are interested in because they are the only ones that can afford them. My magazine will include boats that are cheap and can be sailed by everyone.
The article, "The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing: A CONVERSATION WITH SIX BLACK EDITORS", is filled with interviews with leading Black editors about the business of bringing new writing into the world. I believe, as an editor, that my magazine will "stretch our ability to see beauty and potential in new places and ways"(Dungy). My magazine will cover a different topic than other sailing magazines, which will give the reader the ability to read about a different perspective on sailing. Mensah Demary states that "It's important to be in tune with the interests and conversations of readers", which I am able to do since I sail. As a sailor, I am able to understand what the readers want and don't want to see in my magazine. I am also someone that knows older and younger sailors, so I am able to put what the different age groups would like to see in my magazine. In the article, Kwame Dawes speaks about how white people control many institutions and journals. This gave me the thought of how certain groups have control, such as how mostly male adults are in control of sailing magazines. With my perspective on sailing, as a teenage girl, will make my magazine stand out further. I can make my magazine target men and women equally unlike other sailing magazines. Most popular sailing magazines have little designs and features that would appeal to women. With this realization, I now plan to put a woman sailing on the cover.

Comments
Post a Comment