Decision Day

            My initial reaction to InDesign and Premier Pro was confusion. When testing Premier Pro, my computer screen was flooded with various unknown buttons and features. As I went through the tutorial given to me, I started to realize that many of these buttons I do not actually need to use. After experiencing this and reading “Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom”, I came to the conclusion that Premier Pro is simply a tool that I must earn to use to tell a story. In the article, the author speaks about how “stories have power” and how humans have used stories to explain our world”. This was inspiring to me. I feel that I can create my own story through film and that is the reasoning for choosing film for my portfolio project. I should probably explain as to why I did not choose to create a Magazine article. I did not choose a magazine article for the following reasons: I do not understand InDesign, I hate writing, it sounds boring. When I opened in design it looked fairly simple until I tried to test it out on some photos I uploaded. I understood the tutorial, but I could not get the program to do what I wanted it to do. I quickly became frustrated and closed the program. I also could not see myself designing a cover page that does not have much meaning to it. What I mean by this is that trying to attract readers through attractive people and stereotypes does not seem right. With a film, you are simply drawing people in that want to see the film for the videography or plot. Another con to creating a magazine is that I would have to create a random article, and I am not good at creative writing. 

    The article “Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines” touches on the topic of the struggle in obtaining readership. This made me further stray from creating a magazine. In the article, several magazine editors all speak about the struggle of obtaining readership and how it has come down to flashy titles and people for many magazines. Magazine editor Sophie Beck talks about how she believes in going a little “glossy” and “giving people something to flip to”. I do not want to have to find attractive images and have weird articles that I am not interested in simply for the attraction of readers. Concerning Premier Pro, I think it will be fun and exciting to use. I love watching videos so I believe learning how to make them can be interesting. Using Premier Pro to create a short film will probably be easy due to the tutorials available and my interest in Premier Pro. 

*more specific about software 

*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magazine Cover Review

Concept Refinement